A solid fence is an excellent addition to any residential property because they establish boundaries. One fence that is on the rise in popularity is chain-link. This fence style is inexpensive and relatively easy to install. Many people install it as a DIY project. Before you do, read these tips for installing a chain-link fence.
Check The Rules
Always check the laws and codes where you live before deciding on a fence. The city or county you live in has regulations on where you can place your fence and its specific height. Consider how close your fence is to the corner, a roadway, or an alley.
Also, your local Homeowners Association might have laws, so you have to be mindful of those. They typically pertain to the materials you can use, the maximum height, and the color.
Prep Chain-Link Posts
Once you’ve decided on the attributes and details of your chain link fence, start installing the posts. Your posts must be installed correctly. Chain-link fence installations are a DIY job for some but don’t hesitate to contact us for a quote.
Not correctly installing fence posts is one of the most common mistakes made during fence installations.
- Your fence post holes should be about three times as wide as the fence post.
- The holes need to be at least 1/3 of the length of the pole.
- Also, you’ll want to add another four inches that you’ll fill with gravel before inserting your posts.
- Fill the end and corner holes and set your posts. It would be best if you ensured all the posts were on the same level.
- After filling the holes, align the poles. Then pour concrete around the pole until it is loaded on all sides.
- The mounded concrete protects your posts and allows for rainwater to run off.
Focus on Bands, Caps, Rails
- The next step is to install the tension bands. Tension bands play an integral role in keeping your fence upright. The number of bands needed depends on the height of your fence and the instructions of your specific chain-link fence.
- After deciding the number, you will need to install the post caps and the rails to complete the framework.
- After that is complete, you can install the actual chain-link material and ensure that all parts are tightly secured.
Hercules Fence of Virginia Beach Has Everything You Need!
Call Hercules Fence of Norfolk and Virginia Beach for your fencing needs. We have decades of experience in the fencing industry. We can offer you the best in ornamental steel, chain link, wooden fences, and more. Our dedicated teams of fencing professionals are highly trained, skilled, and experienced in providing quality fence installations of any type. We’ll work with you to find a fence that best suits your needs and budget.
Contact Hercules Fence of Virginia Beach at (757) 321-6700 or contact us on our website to learn more about fall and winter fence construction! In addition, you can keep up to date with offers and information from Hercules Fence of Virginia Beach on Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Twitter.